Friday, June 4, 2010

Gingerbread!

The past two weekends I was in a period of gingerbread. To be perfectly honest I wasn't excited about gingerbread cakes. I had gingerbread frequently, at Christmas time while growing up, in the form of a variety of different shaped cookies. I liked it well enough but it doesn't cause me to swoon. But there are definitely gingerbread fanatics out there and I was hoping to cater to them a little bit with these 2 cakes. My cakes generally go with me, where ever I am headed, on the weekends and/or into work for consumption by my guinea pi...um, coworkers. Thankfully I have good friends and coworkers who are willingly accompanying me on this journey as my faithful tasters.

Cake #11, Gingerbread, 5.19.2010, was very good but it didn't excite me. I think it might have been a tiny bit overcooked (not as bad a couple of previous cakes) either that or it runs a little dryish (is that a word?). I did make this twice as it was exceedingly easy and the 2nd one was better cooked yet still didn't wow me. However they both got eaten so it couldn't have been too bad.

Cake #12, ATF Gingerbread, 5.29.2010, has converted me to loving gingerbread. Well not all gingerbread but definitely this gingerbread. It had dark beer and candied ginger in it. I think the candied ginger really made this and it was so moist. It also had frosting (cream cheese ginger frosting) which automatically makes it preferred in my book. I am getting better at baking the cakes but my frosting skills leave a lot to be desired! It may look messy but it made me a true gingerbread convert and I would totally make it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment